Saturday, March 03, 2012

[Belated] Food Friday: in which I make good 'ol sloppy joes

Oh man. Whoever invented the sloppy joe was really onto something. You just get a bunch of random ingredients, saute them together, toss 'em on a burger bun, and consume! I say "random" because I have seen so many variations of the sloppy joe (including a vegetarian "unsloppy joe" that had kidney beans in it) that there is no way the original was anything other than "a pinch of this, a dash of that, and now toss in all the leftover ground beef." Nothing wrong with that.

There are two sloppy joes that really stand out in my memory. One is the sloppy joe recipe I am going to share with you in this post. The other is the sloppy joe that I helped to make and eat in London with ladies Meghan and Julia. The recipe was from Julia's family.




Now LOOK at the size of those sloppy joes! I have no recollection of having been able to eat one without its spilling all over my face, but am assured that it did happen.

So, it is no wonder that I was under the impression that sloppy joes were RATHER LARGE. Well, ladies and gentlemen, you will be unsurprised to learn that the size of a sloppy joe is entirely dependent on the size of your burger bun. So, you can opt for GIGANTIC burger bun or, like I did this past week, for the whole wheat (on sale) Sara Lee TINY burger bun. It's up to you.





Don't be dumb like me, though, and forget to stir the simmering ingredients. Because then the bottom layer will burn. Luckily, the burnt layer was still fairly moist and tasty the on the first day--but, leftover burnt layer is starting to really, really, really be dried out. Because the burger buns are so tiny, I had been heating up a side dish of macaroni and cheese, or caesar salad, to go with the sloppy joe. Voila. American classic.

No comments: