Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Yesterday Evening Somebody Called Me a "Woolfie"

And I don't hate it.

Do you all have any idea how much I love Virginia Woolf? Let me tell you. I was so happy to be writing about Mrs. Dalloway last week that as I steadily composed pages of my rough draft I almost burst into tears. It felt so amazing to write about a book that I love so much, to be putting quotes into an academic paper that I have scribbled down again and again in notebooks and onto Post-It notes:

"She sliced like a knife through everything; at the same time was outside, looking on. She had a perpetual sense, as she watched the taxi cabs, of being out, out, far out to sea and alone; she always had the feeling that it was very, very dangerous to live even one day."

In fact, you may [hopefully] recognize the name of this blog as a reference to the first line of Mrs. Dalloway.







shirt: thrifted
skirt: American Apparel
belt: via my mum
tights: Sock Dreams
boots: old Christmas gift
necklace: thrifted

There is a line in the film Almost Famous where one of the Band-Aids says that the new girls "don't know what it's like to be a fan. To love some silly bit of music so much that it hurts." I think of this quote when people ask me why I decided to do graduate school. Because I love some books so much that it hurts.