Sunday, May 29, 2011

I'm So Sure There Must be Something Else I Should be Doing...

I think that being a grad student can best be encapsulated by this statement. Every morning I wake up and can't help but feel that there is something I ought to be reading. Surely there is a paper I should be skimming sources for. And, if not, then I have probably been doing those things so fervently that I have neglected the upkeep of my apartment and ought to be Swiffering the kitchen floor or Scrubbing Bubbling the bathtub.

I should relax. But when I do sit down on my yellow futon, cup of tea in one hand, bagel-with-peanut-butter in the other, and watch the latest episode of Doctor Who, I can't help but feel that I am somehow procrastinating.

Yet today that is appropriate behavior. This morning has been full of thunderstorms, with the rain pounding against my house so intensely that I needed to wear headphones in order to hear said episode of Doctor Who. What occasions laziness better than a soggy summer Sunday? Even my attire bespeaks this attitude:




shirt: Quack's
skirt: thrifted
shoes: Sperry Topsider
headband: via my mum

Sometimes, you just want to throw on a hippie skirt and a t-shirt and some comfortable shoes. Although, in case you were curious, this is pretty much what High School Lauren wore. Just replace the Sperrys with a pair of Converse All-Stars that had definitely seen better days.

No comments: