Thursday, April 07, 2011

It Begins: Apartment Hunting

Wednesday!
In which Robert takes over as fashion photographer, replacing the self-timer and making me giggle:





Shirt: vintage, thrifted
Skirt: thrifted
Tights: Sock Dreams
Shoes: Urban Outfitters
Belt: thrifted

I finally emailed my landlords and asked for a few weeks to look for another, more ideally located apartment, before re-signing their lease. I was mortified to do this, as they appeared at my door one evening as I was boiling chicken and cooking with Robert, and out of a stressed out sort-of paranoia of some kind I nodded exuberantly when they asked if I was planning on staying on next year. However, a moment's pause after their departure was enough for me to remember that:

a) I hate my location, nextdoor to and behind rowdy drunk undergrads and off of a gravel road full of potholes that kick dust up onto my car when it is dry outside
b) I hate having to go to the laundromat
c) I hate how tiny my two closets are
d) I hate the fact that I have neither counter-space nor room for a cart in my kitchen
e) I would be better off living somewhere where I do not have to pay the heat, because I am from Texas and get cold easily and thus spend a fortune on my gas bill all winter long

So yesterday R and I went to look at an apartment on the West side of the river (FYI TX or AR friends, I live right now on the East side, my classes are all on the East side, and all of the coffeehouses and bookstores are on the East side) that has pricey rent but a washing machine and dryer in the basement, heat covered, as well as the charm of an old, old building with large windows, and a bright blue door. I liked it. I didn't love it. It's too expensive to not love it. And so the search continues...