Saturday, April 23, 2011

Doctor Who and How I Plan to Survive The Next Two Weeks

I have what we might call a very vivid and active imagination. When I go running, I like to pretend that I'm either running from Daleks or training for Torchwood or off to save The Doctor. I used to pretend that my homework was actually homework for Muggle Studies and that I was a Hogwarts student. For the next couple of weeks when I am working on term papers and presentations, I am going to try to pretend that the following scenario is in place:

The Doctor is off on a mission of some kind. He has left me behind because he knows he will need me to come and help him out before the mission is through; he needs me, essentially, to wait for him to call me. He will call me, by the way, by sending a message through a piece of jewelry. It will act like a Portkey. In the meantime, the TARDIS has deposited me at a university as a graduate student in English, because before I started my career as a time traveler, that is what I had intended to do with my life. It is very important that I maintain this guise, and thus I must work extra hard to produce convincingly academic work!

You may laugh, but I need some kind of imagined scenario to get me through the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately, my imagination can't be of much help when it comes to the fact that I would really appreciate someone cleaning my apartment and cooking for me and doing my laundry. And while I'm dreaming I'd like a new apartment, a basset hound, and to wake up tomorrow 15 pounds thinner.