Monday, January 30, 2012

in which I struggle with that old love-hate relationship with the Internet

In my 18th Century Lit class, we have read many articles thus far this semester on the subject of the Internet. More specifically, how the Internet is contributing to shorter attention spans and struggles with memory. One thought that really struck me was when one writer commented that one can't really turn the Internet off. You can turn off the TV, close a distracting book, or press the stop button on iTunes. But the Internet is just sort-of always running. Although it's possible for an individual to go online, answer a few emails, and then get up and walk away, what more commonly occurs is that a person simply gets lost.

I am a perfect example of this. This past Saturday, I got up at 9 o'clock and realized suddenly that it was after noon before I started to do something productive. Where did the 3 1/2 hours go? I couldn't possibly say; it just happened. After I read 30 pages or so of Faulkner, I called my mother for her birthday. We started looking at Craigslist for R, who is likely to need a new apartment soon. When she had to get off the phone, I found myself lost on Craigslist. And I didn't start reading again until after 5 o'clock.

Luckily, I had a very productive day yesterday. I got through most of my weekend reading, and prepped for teaching all week. All that is left to do is to scarifice going to the gym today in order to finish the articles I didn't get around to--and to go to the grocery store.




sweater: thrifted Woolrich
skirt: American Apparel, very old
tights and socks: Sock Dreams
boots: via my mum
necklace: gifted Ruche
headband: vintage scarf

I really loved this slightly oversized wool sweater. It was a thrift store find last winter here in Iowa City at Good Will, but I think that this might have been the first time that I wore it. What took me so long? I was so cozy curled up in my red chair with Henry James! Sometime I think that my outfit choices contribute to my productivity levels.

No comments: