Friday, January 20, 2012

in which I spend the morning watching a flurry above a Budweiser truck

On Fridays I do not teach or have class, so I've been thinking about a possible routine for the day. Today's experiment was to make a leisurely breakfast (read: biscuits and cherry-almond jam), drink a cup of tea, and catch up on the news. I sat down at my kitchen table and opened the blinds--to see a flurry of snow covering the sidewalks in white, and also a gigantic Budweiser truck stationed beneath my window.

For those who are not aware, I live atop a grocery store. Oftentimes trucks will pull up at 5:30 in the morning to unload stock into the establishment, and the curbside at which they unload is directly below my bedroom and kitchen windows. Thus, I receive fairly interrupted sleep several times a week, and this morning I also had a beer truck taking up a quarter of my view of the street below.

In any case, I took in the headlines at The New York Times and read a few articles and moved over the Planetizen, a planning-related website that R introduced me to, where I read a couple of interesting articles about how our brains remember locations and what defines a place, exactly. This may well become my Friday routine, as I'd like to really keep more abreast of the news this year. I feel like academia can be such a bubble sometimes.

I had considered going to the gym before meeting some colleagues at the library later to work on a group mini-project, but when it's snowing I don't really have the motivation to do anything except drink tea and curl up on the sofa beneath my penguin blanket.





cardigan: JCrew
shirt: H&M, old
skirt: thrifted
leggings: American Apparel
boots: Naturalizer
necklace: thrifted

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

That belt is fantastic. (I have a big love affair with belts, so it's the first thing I noticed!)