Friday, January 13, 2012

in which I go on a taco adventure

Thing #1 that I love about Austin: tacos. Tacos, tacos, tacos. It is not uncommon for me to eat nothing but tacos for three straight meals when I am in Austin.When I was a little girl, my family frequented a restaurant called Amaya's Taco Village--the owners go to our church, which I suspect is how we found out about it. When I was in middle school, Amaya's Taco Village changed its location from south-central Austin to north-east Austin, and my family stopped eating there as often due to the length of the drive. However, I went to a magnet highschool that was also in north-east Austin, and so often after picking me up from softball practice my mother would suggest that we eat at Amaya's for dinner and wait out the traffic. Then, when I started driving myself, I began to stop at Amaya's before school to pick up breakfast tacos. (Or, skipping my first class with a friend or a beau and sitting down to eat breakfast tacos). When I went off to college in central Arkansas, I managed to run my route by Amaya's on the interstate, and I would purchase about a dozen tacos for the road that day and to eat as breakfast leftovers.

Long story short: these are some damn good tacos.

Just this past year, Amaya's changed locations again. Luckily, they did not move far--simply across the highway--and so they are easy to approach by motor vehicle. Not-so-luckily, this new location proves very difficult to reach by public transportation. The former location was a block off of a downtown bus route. But, as I discovered yesterday, the new location is about a 15-20 minute walk from the bus stop on a path mostly without sidewalks and crossing a major intersection aside a major highway.

Guh.

But, the reward for my efforts? See below:





From left to right: sausage, potato and egg taco; bean and cheese taco; bacon, potato, and cheese taco; all on corn tortillas with homemade salsa

The downside is that I can probably never go to Amaya's for dinner again unless I'm with someone in a car, because that walk would not be even remotely safe in the dark. But rather than dwelling on this injustice, let us move on. To clothes:





jacket: Gap
scarf: gifted
sweater and jeans: JCrew
boots: gifted
beret: a hat store in Madison, WI

1 comment:

WAW said...

No chorizo?? I hope you think long and hard about what you've done wrong here.