Saturday, October 30, 2010

Let it be known that my weakness is thrift stores. I went with Annmarie and Lisa to Goodwill and Second Act (which is an AMAZING thrift store with an entire room devoted to vintage where everything is priced so reasonably I often do a double-take at the price tag) this afternoon to help them find bits and pieces of their Halloween costumes, and ended up spending more money than either of them and buying clothes. Listen, friends; I don't need clothes. My closet is bursting with pants and skirt and dresses; my drawers are overflowing with shirts, socks, stockings, and leggings. I have two shelves bursting with cardigans and sweaters. I do not need any more clothes. But I just can't help but look at them and when I see something with potential at a good price I just can't let it go. I pounce. And I don't usually regret it either, which only perpetuates the problem.

Tomorrow, Jess and I are hosting a Halloween FEAST at her apartment with several slow-cooker courses and mulled wine--and, most importantly, a viewing of Hocus Pocus. Don't tell me that you don't know about Hocus Pocus. I am dressing up as Jane Austen. I promise to upload photos of my costume, the gathering, and of course the FEAST. We are about to head to the grocery store now to buy the various ingredients.

Also this week: Ghostface Killah in downtown Iowa City, Culler and Derrida in my Ethics of Close-Reading class, and Heidegger Day this Tuesday in Theory.